Spinal Fusion Treatment in Hawthorne, NJ
The spine is made up many vertebrae, connect by soft issue. To correct some problems, these vertebrae may be joined -or fused - together. This process is known as spinal fusion. Spinal fusion surgery is useful to treat many different conditions.
Request more information about spinal fusion today: call (201) 806-6099 or contact Dr. M.T. Shahab online.
What is Spinal Fusion?
Spinal fusion is a type of orthopedic spine surgery. It can be used to address many problems of the back and spine, including:
- Back pain
- Lower back pain
- Degenerative disc disease
- Fractured vertebrae
- Spinal injury
- Degenerative spine problems
- Herniated disc
- Chronic pain
- Spinal weakness
The above list does not include every condition that spinal fusion treats, simply the most common. Spinal fusion surgery is usually performed in the lumbar region of the back, but can be done virtually anywhere on the spine.
As with all surgical procedures, spinal fusion is typically treated as a last resort after non-invasive methods have failed.
How Does Spinal Fusion Work?
Spinal fusion is most often considered a major surgery, and one that may require a short hospital stay after the procedure is performed. There are many different ways that spinal fusion treatment can be performed.
All methods follow the same general steps:
- An incision is made in to the surgical site, which may be at the back, abdomen or throat.
- Utilizing bone grafts, the surgeon fuses two or more vertebrae together. These grafts can come from the patient's own body or from a specialized bone bank.
Where the different types of procedures differ is the site of the incision and where the graft is inserted. Some of the different types of spinal fusion surgery include:
- Interbody fusion, where the graft is placed in-between the vertebrae. Some types of interbody fusion are ALIF, PLIF, TLIF and XLIF . These subtypes refer to where the incision is made.
- Posterolateral fusion, where the bone graft is inserted in the transverse processes of the spine and held in place with screws or wire.
Some surgeons may also offer minimally-invasive spinal fusion or robotic spinal fusion surgery.
Request Spinal Fusion Information Today
Spinal fusion has been designed to relieve back pain, correct spine position and much more. Request more information about spine surgery today: call (201) 806-6099 or contact Dr. M.T. Shahab online.
Medwell Orthopedics & Functional Medicine for Men & Women
Address33 Central Ave
Midland Park, NJ 07432
8:00 am - 8:00 pm
Tue: 2:00 pm - 7:00 pm
Wed: 8:00 am - 6:30 pm
Thu: 8:00 am - 1:00 pm
Fri: 8:00 am - 6:30 pm
Sat: 9:00 am - 1:00 pm
Sun: By Appointment Only
Areas We Service:Allendale, NJ, Fair Lawn, NJ, Franklin Lakes, NJ, Glen Rock, NJ, Hackensack, NJ, Ho Ho Kus, NJ, Paramus, NJ, Ramsey, NJ, Ridgewood, NJ, Saddle River, NJ, Waldwick, NJ, Wyckoff, NJ, Hawthorne, NJ, Paterson, NJ