360° Fusion (Anterior and Posterior Interbody Fusion) Surgery in Midland Park, NJ
360° fusion is another term for the anterior and posterior interbody fusion surgery of the spine.
A spine surgeon may use this technique if the vertebrae need to be joined from both the front (anterior) and back (posterior) of the spine.
360° Spine Fusion Surgery Candidates
360° fusion surgery is recommended for patients who have:
- Chronic low back pain
- Degenerative disc disease
- A history of previous spine surgeries
- Spinal deformities
360° fusion is for patients who have tried other methods to treat their pain. This may include medications, rest, therapy and other techniques before surgery is discussed.
How is a 360° Spine Fusion Surgery Performed?
Your provider will start with the front of the body. This is called an anterior lumbar interbody fusion (XLIF ).
- Your provider will make a 3-8 centimeter long incision in your abdomen just to the left of your belly button. Your intestines and other blood vessels will be moved to the side so your provider can see the spine.
- He or she will then remove the disc between the vertebrae to be joined, and a spacer made of metal or bone will be added.
Once work from the front is finished, you will be gently rolled onto your back for a posterior lumbar interbody fusion .
- To begin, a 3 to 6 inch incision will be made on one side of your spine. If your provider is performing a minimally invasive PLIF procedure, the cut may be much smaller.
- Next, the muscles of the back will be moved so that your surgeon can access the spine. Your provider will then access the inside of the disc space by removing the top part of the vertebrae so that he or she can remove the damaged disc and replace it with bone graft material.
- Your provider may also make extra room for any compressed nerves. Finally, rods are placed to support the vertebrae as they heal. Over time, new bone will grow and fuse the two bones together.
360° Spinal Fusion Recovery
You can expect your surgery to take between 2 and 5 hours.
After surgery, you will remain in the hospital for 2-3 days, depending on your specific situation. You will be given pain medication and will get up and walk soon after surgery.
To promote healing and prevent injury to the bones, you may be given a corset or restrictive belt to wear to prevent bending at the waist, twisting or lifting.
After a few weeks, you may need physical therapy to help you gain strength and flexibility. Recovery after a 360° fusion varies widely from patient to patient, but you can expect return to full activities to take several weeks or even months.
Request More Information
To request more information about 360 Spinal Fusion: call us today at (201) 806-6099 or contact Medwell Orthopedics & Functional Medicine for Men & Women online.
Medwell Orthopedics & Functional Medicine for Men & Women
Address33 Central Ave
Midland Park, NJ 07432
8:00 am - 8:00 pm
Tue: 2:00 pm - 7:00 pm
Wed: 8:00 am - 6:30 pm
Thu: 8:00 am - 1:00 pm
Fri: 8:00 am - 6:30 pm
Sat: 9:00 am - 1:00 pm
Sun: By Appointment Only
Areas We Service:Allendale, NJ, Fair Lawn, NJ, Franklin Lakes, NJ, Glen Rock, NJ, Hackensack, NJ, Ho Ho Kus, NJ, Paramus, NJ, Ramsey, NJ, Ridgewood, NJ, Saddle River, NJ, Waldwick, NJ, Wyckoff, NJ, Hawthorne, NJ, Paterson, NJ